Professionals Against Bullying

Tuesday, March 16, 2010

READ SOMETHING GREAT!

I always close my blog posts with "Read something great". I could end my online messages with sentiments about anything-why focus on reading? It is important to me as an author to encourage those who enjoy my blog to also seek out great literature. When I was in college I truly missed having the time to read for fun. This is not to say that I did not come across great books that were assigned to me to read. There is something different about going to a bookstore, library or even your friend's book shelf and picking out a book that speaks to you and your interest. I talk to so many young people who mention that reading is boring and that they can never get into it.
I feel as though reading is active and an adventure...if you find the right book. The right book for me may be different for someone else. I tell young people to think about what they love and find it in a book. What do they like to watch on television? What do they like to do for fun? Where would they go if they could go anywhere they wanted to?
These are great starter questions for finding books that not only entertain them but help them to become an avid reader. When I close my blog with "Read something great" I say this because I want those that read my blog to find books that make them think, grow, change and be inspired.
What are you reading now? Why? Do you have an author that you absolutely love? Is there a genre that you find to be your favorite? Are you in a book club? YOu can feel free to answer some of these questions in the comment section or you might just want to answer them for yourself. Now that I've got your mind set on reading....
-READ SOMETHING GREAT

No comments: