Professionals Against Bullying

Wednesday, January 6, 2010

In someone else's shoes...

To truly appreciate diversity it helps to put yourself in someone else's shoes. When I was in college I studied abroad in Europe.
I had always longed to visit Paris and see the fashion, history and culture. The most difficult thing for me while in France was my language barrier. My French was far from fluent and my pronunciation was not the best. I was fortunate enough for some of the people that I encountered to talk to me in English once my small bank of French vocabulary words ran out.
The trip was great for my grade point average and I added many new items to my closet. However, the best part of the trip was for me to see for myself that this world is a large place filled with culture, history and people that bring depth to my life in a great way.

Diversity is more than just Black and White. It is walking in another person's shoes and trying to gain an understanding of what makes them who they are. In my 1st book, "Who I Am Not What I Am" Janelle is told by her parents that her culture is important but her culture includes the foods that she likes to eat, the activities that she enjoys participating in and her family and ethnicity. It is a whole package.
Every person is diverse because every person is special and unique. Get to know someone new today and find out about their culture, likes, dislikes, etc.
Read something great!

No comments: