Professionals Against Bullying

Wednesday, September 16, 2009

WISDOM FROM OUR ELDERS...

My grandmother once shared with me that she did not need to travel. I looked at her confused and waited for her to continue. She smiled at me and said that if she had a good book she could travel to any place that she chose to go. This did not make much sense to a small child who longed to travel and go to new places. As an adult I finally get it. My grandmother is a retired teacher and has given much of her life to helping young people embrace education. She would always take us to the library for fun and she enjoyed visiting bookstores before they sold coffee and sticky buns. Me and my brother would have no choice when we were with her...we had to pick up a book. What else do you do in a library? When she would take us to the mall we would get excited about clothes and toys-imagine our angst when we were walked into the mall bookstore.
It is said that a love of reading is passed down. It is also said that habits are made from consistency. My grandmother consistently pointed out to me the importance of reading and education and this helped to shape me into who I am today. If you have a young person in your life that could use an extra push...be creative but help them to understand that opening a book can open their mind...their future and the door to their future career. Email me (whoiamnotwhatiam@yahoo.com) if you are interested in the "Be A Part of Their Story" Literacy Project.
Read something great!

No comments: