Professionals Against Bullying

Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Feeling beautiful when my face says otherwise

“Beauty is internal” my voice sang out to the eager children on the playground.

I am the author that chants as if it is a mantra that true beauty matters…anything else is not as important. How often do I tell kids that true treasure is paramount and the outer is just extra. Do I feel that way now that my face has been plagued with an allergy that I can’t explain. The pretty smile that others compliment and I take for granted is missing because I am not smiling and when I do… is it really as pretty as it is when my lips are not swollen. My soul is so important! My internal being is the best part of me! My favorite feature in a person is their heart…the lessons keep presenting themselves because I have to practice what I preach more than just preach because it’s my practice. It is very easy to feel confident when I feel beautiful because my skin is clear or my smile is bright. I need to be confident in myself even when fate has thrown me a day to truly focus on my internal makeup.
Readers, today is a tough one for me. I have had an allergic reaction to something and I am taking medication to clear it up. The best medicine for me out of this experience is that I am able to really understand and identify with the desire to feel beautiful on the outside. I believe each day is given as a gift to discover something new and to grow. “Who I am not what I am” is not only my book it is a mindset that we as people (regardless of age) must truly embrace the meaning of self-esteem. This means that when we don’t have the best outfit on…we are great! When we get a bad grade…we are great! When we are the only one with freckles…we are great! Our greatness does not depend on our outer circumstances …it thrives on in spite of them!

No comments: