Professionals Against Bullying

Friday, January 16, 2009

If there's a book you really want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it. ~Toni Morrison




If there's a book you really want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it. ~Toni Morrison


Are you disappointed when you go to a bookstore or library and can't find the book that you want on the shelves? This is a perfect opportunity to tap into your own creative juices. I believe that when a void is discovered in a genre it is up to the writers of the world to fill it with their words. Janelle is the main character in my book "Who I am not what I am". So many of my readers remark that they don't see many picture books with diverse people as the main characters. When I was a child I did not see many girls on a cover that looked like me. I decided that this was a challenge for me to help others understand diversity at an early age. Janelle is not only helpful and motivating to those that she looks like... she breaks down barriers for those who do not look like her. Many girls of all races, sizes, and ages have told me that they can relate to Janelle. She likes to skate, loves to talk, is short for her age....the list goes on. I hope that the book that I wrote fills a void for many not just a few. If you have a character in mind that needs to be written...go for it! If you need help understanding character development, and fiction writing please join me at one of my workshops. They are ideal for people who want to build their creative writing skills, peer-critique, story-building exercises and more. The next one is "Creative Writing for Young People" Saturday January 17th at the Novi Public Library 10 a.m. until 12 p.m. followed by a open mic at Solid Grounds Coffee House, Downtown Northville. The next workshop for adults is February 7th at the Novi Public Library. I hope to see you there!

Read something good and write something original!


No comments: