Professionals Against Bullying

Monday, November 17, 2008

Making Time to write

As author of "Who I am not what I am" I spend lots of time at signings and events. My calendar typically is filled with meetings, workshops, classes and other book promotional agenda items. The hardest thing to do as a writer is write. I know that it sounds funny considering that's what I am and what I love to do. In order for me to be able to write on a regular basis I have to allow time in my day just for writing. I typicallly use a timer and turn off all of the distractions and just let my fingers tap the keys on the board until I have written works on my page. If you are aspiring to be a writer but feel that life is too busy to start your book or finish your poem... try a timer. It is also really helpful to make yourself a haven and let the thoughts run wild on your paper. Make sure those who live with you know not to disturb you during your writing time. Use a do not disturb sign for your door if need be. Being a writer is hard work and this is mainly because it takes a great amount of discipline and effort to actually get the writing done. Try these tips today if you are having a hard time finding space in your day to write. This Saturday I will be in Westland Mall (Walden Books) signing from 1-3 and remember the Creative Writing Workshop is coming to an end soon. The last class for the year is December 13th from 10 a.m. until 12 p.m. I hope to see you there! Have a great day and take the time to write!

No comments: